The Art of Seduction - Robert Greene - Scott Goggins
I finally read this book. Part of the motivation is purely out of the ridiculousness of it but also since I like a lot of Robert Greene's books. He's really big on understanding people and why they operate the way they do. This book is kind of on the different side but also interesting. The funniest part is he calls the people getting seduced victims lol. I think if you are a very PC person you'd find it offensive but it is what it is. He essentially has all these rules of how to manipulate someone into seduction and pairs these rules with an example that happened in history. One of the rules used Napoleon as an example of how he was seduced by his then wife and for how strong he was as a ruler was very easily manipulated by her. So he reviews the tactics of what she did and why they worked.
Similar to his 48 laws of power book in order to adopt these rules or implement his practices you'd have to be fully committed and throw all of your pride/guilt/morals/compassion out the window in order to do it. A lot of his examples were from monarch times and I think you could get away with more without repercussions because I guess you could just skip town and no one would be able to find you. In todays day and age yes you can still apply some of these practices but they'd have to look very different. Some of the rules he mentions play off of human nature such as competition or wanting something you can't have. These occur, not to be manipulative, but just naturally as people.
It started to get long at the end. It's 600 pages so unless you are REALLY interested on how you can seduce someone at all cost I'm not sure I'd recommend it but it's still interesting. I hope to finish his whole collection one day and maybe I will understand people fully.
Comments
Post a Comment